About Me

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

There's still hope, at least in Kentucky

I was looking for info on healthcare and I had been finding a lot of information for everyone else, but I wanted to know about Kentucky. I eventually found a couple of sights and articles, but one really caught my attention. It is a website for a healthcare program set up in the state. The program is called "Health Kentucky", this program is dedicated to providing free medical attention and medications to patients. They do this through volunteer doctors, pharamecutical companies, pharmacies, hospitals, dentists, etc. And the great thing is that they have been providing this free service since 1984 to more than 250,000 patients. As you know with anything free there are a few stipulations if you think you wanna get this:

  • You have to be between the ages of 19-64
  • Be a Kentucky resident
  • You can't be covered by any other insurance
  • Your income level must be at or below poverty line

So given this does weed out a lot of people, but in Kentucky this still helps so many. I can't believe I haven't heard of this program. I understand too that they cannot offer this to everyone, then it couldn't be free. It's still a start it seems. They always say something is better than nothing, and for healthcare that rings oh so true!

No comments: